Wednesday, March 23, 2011

18th century stays and shift

This was my first pair of 18th century stays.  I used the Diderot pattern from Corsets and Crinolines (thanks, Jenny-Rose for giving me a pattern to base my stays on!).  The shift is Kannik's Corner. Unfortunately, I had no idea what I was doing, and though the construction of the shift is actually pretty good, it's out of a linen that is way too thick to fit below a gown, and the neckline is too high in front and back. So I never use it.  I've been very happy with the stays.  (Yes, they have historical inaccurate metal grommets in the back, I just wanted them done and wearable.) The fabric is a linen-look remnant from Joann's.

Here is the web page for my costume construction details and more photos:
http://costumersguide.com/maggie_costumes/stays.html



No comments:

Post a Comment